Sunday, December 06, 2009

Am I being old-fashioned, or just lazy?

As I mentioned, I was caught with my laptop down yesterday evening upon discovering the unwired Burger King.  I did, however, valiantly try to rise to the occasion by substituting my Wi-Fi-enabled Palm TX, but after reaching Blogger's login page I quickly decided to wait until I was home and had a laptop-sized keyboard to play with rather than the PDA's infinitesimal hunt-and-peck-with-the-stylus onscreen version.

I'm convinced that with the possible exception of some of the bigger smartphones with physical "thumbboards," handheld devices are fine for reading online content once you've managed to navigate to its location (which I do on the TX by hitting bookmarks I've tapped into it in advance; although I do have an external keyboard for it, it's not pocketable enough to carry around).  On the other hand, if you're intending to do real work, you need keys under your fingers big enough to do the job.

And as you might expect, I don't text despite having a phone capable of it (the mere thought of trying makes my fingers ache), preferring to let my voice do the walking.  I'd rather lug a laptop than pocket a PDA if I'm going somewhere online to do something rather than just look at something, which for me is pretty much all the time.  

So, what does everyone think?  Am I simply a sore-shouldered Luddite stubbornly resisting the advance of history, or do any of the rest of you still blog, tweet, and e-mail only on keyboards wide enough for both hands at once?     

No comments: