Friday, July 17, 2009

Because coffee at this time of day just didn't appeal to me...

...I thought that instead of heading out to Waldo and checking out the new location of The Coffee Girls and its competing shops in the neighborhood, I'd venture over to Bonner Springs as I'd earlier promised to do once their new library opened, which it did this past Sunday. It's located at 201 North Nettleton and as was promised during my earlier visit to the temporary location it moved here from, it's lit up. Not only that, but the table I'm sitting at has a lamp clearly designed for use in an unwired building, what with a power outlet built into its base. There's even what I suspect is a functional Ethernet jack (which if it really is functional must be fed via powerline networking since I don't see any Cat 5 running anywhere from under the table).

That and the fact that any filtering present shouldn't give you any problems with overblocks are the good news. The less-than-good news is that both Usenet and, at least, secure POP and SMTP e-mail connections (over ports 995 and 465, respectively) are a no-go. Since my ISP, like many others these days, no longer allows e-mail to go over the standard unsecured ports, I can't check them-but, of course, you shouldn't be pulling e-mail through them anymore over an open wireless link anyway. One hopes that given enough complaints, this will get fixed in due time.

Oh, that's right-the access points are 802.11g broadcasting a SSID of BONLIB.

Well, I'll have to roll it up here in a little bit since they close at 5 on Fridays. Waldo awaits. Maybe I'll try and hit it tonight, maybe I won't. Time and the next post will tell.

No comments: