Saturday, February 11, 2012

Well, the evening wasn't a total loss.

After the lead on the southeast side yesterday afternoon failed to pan out, I headed north to catch the going-out-of-business sale of the Big Box Electronics Retailer Who Shall Not Be Named at their location across Barry Road from the Metro North Mall. Don't bother; all the good stuff's gone-and the store itself will be after Tuesday. Even sadder was my brief, nostalgic stop at Metro North itself. Less than a dozen stores left open in the whole place. Needless to say, no Wi-Fi-there'd hardly be anyone there to use it if there were. At least those wonderful hot-air balloons in the atrium are still there and, incredibly, still functioning. I hope they can be saved and set up somewhere else (Union Station, maybe?) before the inevitable day when the lights go out and the bulldozers roll in.

Enough tears shed over the past, however. Let's move on to finding out where you can still hook up to check in while feeding your face or perhaps meeting other needs in the neighborhood. Full disclosure: I didn't actually go into any of these locations except the first one-and I didn't boot up in any of them. Connection data is based solely on previous experience and what I saw with my finder, so take these hit-and-run reviews as what they are-merely evidence of the existence of an open router that appears intended for free public use.

McDonald's
150 NW Barry Road, Kansas City

802.11g
SSID: attwifi or Wayport_Access

I went in and grabbed to go here, staying only long enough to whip out my finder to confirm this location as being among Mickey D's unwired. No visible power outlets anywhere, so charge up beforehand. The location faces south, so daylight should be LCD-friendly for the most part, except perhaps during the winter.

Great Clips
115 NW Barry Road, Kansas City

802.11g
SSID: Great Clips Free WiFi

After striking out at another barber/beauty shop earlier in the day, there was no way I could resist verifying what my finder indicated from across the street while I was getting my hamburger fix. Again I didn't actually go in, so if one of you wants to provide more info re power availability or how easily you can read your screen in the daytime, feel free. With only north-facing storefront windows, the latter really shouldn't be a problem.

Mr. Goodcents
117 NW Barry Road, Kansas City

802.11g
SSID: Mr Goodcents

Not long after I came on board this blog I stopped at this chain's Main Street location, but unlike tonight I hadn't come there from McDonald's, so I went in and stayed a bit. Anyone who wants to do so here is welcome to fill us in on any pertinent details missing from this rather cursory report. Like those of its neighbor just to the east, its storefront windows face north, which should help with daytime LCD viewability this time of year.


No comments: