Friday, March 11, 2011

You say you want a revolution...

I've asked before, and I'll ask again:  Where are all these iPads and now competing tablets that are supposed to be sweeping us stodgy old laptoppers into the past alongside keypunch cards and 5 1/4-inch floppy drives?  I've been at the Plaza Library since having gotten off work, and I'm currently one of a half-dozen Wi-Fi users here-all using laptops.  Frankly, I've never run across a tablet user at a hotspot yet.  I did notice someone with a netbook here earlier this afternoon, but that's the lightest artillery I've seen deployed during this operation.

Clearly, tablets are in demand-Apple just launched the second iteration of the iPad today to great fanfare-but you've got to wonder what that tidal wave of buyers is using them for afterward.  They don't appear to be frequenting Kansas City area hotspots with them, that's for sure.

By the way, I ran a speed test here earlier and hit 12-count 'em, 12!-megabits down and nearly 3 up.  Fastest I've ever seen here.  Has fiber finally made its way to Midtown?

No comments: