Thursday, March 17, 2011

No Irish need apply?


OK, it's St. Patrick's Day...so sue me.

Anyway,  I decided to roam around Westport a bit after work-more for old times' sake than anything else; my nights of March madness around there are long gone, along with most of the venues in which they took place-and, of course, keep a sharp eye out for potential new unwired locations.  I might as well not have bothered, what with the only viable candidate being a new tobacco shop (ugh!) which at least was honest enough not to tout its WPA-encumbered offering as "free."  (Memo to the proprietor(s):  I didn't see anyone in your establishment chomping down on one of your exquisitely priced offerings while pecking away at a keyboard between puffs.  So...how's locking down that network working out for you?)

And speaking of-well, you see, there was this big tan tent out in the middle of Pennsylvania Avenue not far from the aforemetioned business, with a zipped-down entrance and a uniformed guard in front-and a sign clearly stating "VALID U. S. ID REQUIRED."  I resisted the temptation as long as I could, finally giving in and asking a young lady just outside who was obviously an associate of whatever enterprise was being conducted within exactly what was going on in there that wasn't fit for foreigners.  Her response was not one question but two:  "Are you 21?" and "Do you smoke cigarettes?"

Now, I suppose I could have effected my best brogue and implored whether on this day of all days, they would truly deny one fresh off the Old Sod, just for want of an American-issued...naaah!

And to conclude this on-topic, I dropped in again at the Westport branch of the KCMO Public Library to post this, and while I'm happy to report that the two-hours-per-day seating limit signs I saw here around five years ago are gone, so, unfortunately, are the power outlets I found then as well.  Only two pairs of them are readily apparent now-one on each side of a post between a couple of tables in front of the checkout desk.  Better news than that, though, is that even if you have to go battery only, you'll have the speed to get plenty done before recharge time, what with just over 7 megabits per second down and 3 up.

No comments: