Saturday, November 14, 2009

Sounds like someone REALLY needs to grow up.

Schlotzky's Deli
12071 Metcalf, Overland Park

802.11g
SSID:  Schlotzsky's

It's really been a long time since either of us has reviewed a new location-or at least one we haven't investigated before-and been forced to deliver a "do not use" recommendation.  And the reason I'm doing it here may brand me as an old fuddy-duddy in some eyes.  Well, too bad.  Don't hit this hotspot-or any of Schlotzsky's others-until its corporate management abandons its protracted adolescence and stops disrespecting users by blasting music from the company's homepage into their unsuspecting ears as part of the connection process.

I can't think of anything more rude than this.  There's a reason the vast majority of websites that used to go in for this nonsense abandoned it years ago.  If I were to emulate the level of emotional maturity this represents by going out into the parking lot and cranking my car stereo up with the door open, how long do you think it would be before I was politely asked to leave-and if I didn't, how much longer after that would it take before my enforced departure-in the company of the police-came about?  Why, then, would anyone think that I-or any other adult, for that matter-would appreciate a company doing the same thing as I'm trying to sit down to dinner? 

And while you're at it, Schlotzsky's, you could stand to lose the Javascript clickthrough page as well once you've fixed this, since you won't need the boobytrap script anymore. 

Schlotzsky's has at least one other location around town that's listed as lit up, but I'm not going to bother with it for the time being.  Anyone else who wants to look into it is welcome to give us a report.  As far as this one goes, there are only a very few power outlets along the walls; I'm currently plugged into one against the north wall towards the front, right next to the window.  It's about 7:30 p. m. so I can't estimate how much the apparently tinted glass would help with daytime screen readability.

No comments: