Friday, October 09, 2009

You forgot about Olathe, Mac.

Never mind, however.  I appreciated the opportunity to revisit a location I haven't used since I believe this blog's first week or so.  I'm in the main Olathe Public Library at 201 East Park downtown and I'm happy to report that if the patron KCMO so shamefully shunted aside spends any time out this way and would like to drop in with his or her laptop, port 7000 is ready and waiting on this connection.  Let's see-that makes 2 for 3 among the public library systems that still have open networks.  If keeping 7000 open were truly so dangerous as KCMO's IT director thinks it is, that wouldn't have been likely, would it?

I've got two quibbles with this location, however.  The first is that owing to the makeover they've given it since I was last here, the only laptop-friendly seating is at an eight-position carrel table towards the back.  Well, at least they thought to provide a pair of power strips so maybe I protest too much.  Quibble No. 2 is, I'm afraid, a bad one:  This is the slowest connection other than Johnson County's that I've run into in a public library in years.  Signal strength is OK so it's got to be on their side of the router.  Let's just hope I'm here at a bad time of day (5 p. m.) and this isn't indicative of the network's regular performance.  

No comments: