Wednesday, October 07, 2009

And now for what I REALLY wanted to talk about this evening...

...which, of course, is the issue of the hour, namely whether the KCMO library's IT department is being prudent and cautious or suffering from an advanced case of pointy-haired bossism, as evidenced by its rationale for blocking port 7000 on the Wi-Fi for patron-owned computers when they don't do so for the connection their own computers use.

My vote is for the latter, given that I'm posting this using the Wi-Fi in the Riverside branch of the Mid-Continent Public Library, and I'm happy to report that the chats on www.bipolarworld.net work just fine up here. Since Riverside was hardly a den of cyber-iniquity the last I heard, I'm of the opinion that KCMO is full of it. If they're truly concerned that leaving 7000 open will make them susceptible to spreading denial-of-service attacks, why isn't Mid-Continent-and more to the point, why isn't it happening now on MCPL's network? For that matter, why isn't it happening on the thousands of free and open networks across the country? I think we'd have heard about it if it were, don't you?

I had planned to run the same test at NKC, but since they've apparently gone members-only, we'll have to settle for you-know-where...Johnson County. Don't know if I'll make one of their locations from up here tonight, but when I do make one, you'll find out right here.

No comments: