Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Wouldn't it be nice...

...if we could say that the announcement in this morning's Kansas City Star that Starbucks is bailing out of its Westport location-where it went head-to-head against a local cafe right next door and not only lost, but saw its competitor open a second location a block away!-was the result of free trouncing fee? Perhaps, but I can't conclude for certain that was the case. I sort of "war-walked" both the "David" locations this afternoon, starting with the one adjacent to the vanquished Goliath. While I did see several laptop users there, what I didn't see at either site were any open access points, so if either or both locations are unwired, they're either play-for-pay or otherwise restricted-and thus beyond the scope of this blog.

However, the Westport Coffee House a couple of blocks away isn't-or at least wasn't when I reviewed it a year and a half ago. Neither were TeaDrops around the corner nor Panera Bread down the street the last time I was there. So it's not like Starbucks and T-Mobile didn't have to compete against the free world for supremacy in Westport.


No comments: