Friday, October 14, 2005

More notes on the Johnson County Library

I failed to mention that none of the library locations I've visited are really what one could call laptop-friendly, although the inconveniences aren't insurmountable by any means. The Central Resource Library does have a few carrels that are wired for power, but if, for instance, you want to have your laptop handy while you browse through a reel of microfilmed newspapers (a favorite working mode for genealogists and historical researchers), you'll have to crawl under the table holding the microfilm reader and plug your power cord into the outlet there unless you can run battery-only. Blue Valley has a few tables with lamps that have power outlets, and there is at least one table at Antioch that's near one. I don't recall being able to plug in at Leawood Pioneer, and I haven't been to Corinth since the network went live, so I can't report on their laptop-friendliness.

No comments: