Saturday, August 10, 2013

Four dreaded words...


...seen yesterday afternoon at the Johnson County Library's Central location.







It really wasn't, of course-what was down was their Internet access, both wired and wireless.  The SSID was visible, but connecting to the network didn't take you anywhere.  Yours truly just made do with ye olde Bluetooth-tethered cell phone, which was (barely) sufficient for the search-engine access I mainly need to augment my research.  It was really creepy, however, to see the dozens of desktop workstations sitting idle.  They're usually just about all in use at that time of day on a Friday. 

A staffer I spoke with said no one had much of an idea as to why or how long; it had already been more than 24 hours and the best info she had was something about a "configuration problem."  And now that I think about it, I should have asked if it was a systemwide issue or just a problem there at Central, but didn't.

Interestingly, there's no mention of the problem anywhere I can find on the library's website.  An oversight, perhaps?

Anyone with more info is welcome to weigh in.

No comments: