Saturday, April 24, 2010

The devil (almost) made me do it.

I don't think I'll tell you exactly which hotspot I stopped by on the way home last night so as not to give the more nefariously minded among you any ideas. Anyway, just before closing up shop and heading for the parking lot I paused as I was about to turn off my MacBook Pro's radio and gave in to a long-held curiosity as to whether I could really connect to a Wi-Fi-enabled Hewlett Packard printer if its owner had inadvertently left its default peer-to-peer network named "hpsetup" running.

In a word, yes.

OS X quickly identified the printer-an OfficeJet model; I don't remember exactly which one-and installed the driver for it. Now if I'd wanted to be mean and nasty, I could have found an embarrassing image or some such and...oh, I just couldn't! Guess I really don't have that sort of thing in me when it comes right down to it.

So why mention this at all, you ask? Simple-as a warning to anyone reading this who owns a wireless-capable printer or multifunction device that you need to make sure its Wi-Fi is either disabled or secured lest someone not as resistant to temptation as yours truly happen to come within range. Flip Wilson may be gone, but Geraldine lives.

And if you're not old enough to remember Flip Wilson...well, that's why they invented Google, isn't it?

No comments: