Friday, January 09, 2009

Friday Night Fumblings

Got my new copy of the Yellow Pages the other day, so naturally I spent a bit of time flipping through it to get leads on potential new locations (okay, I'll save you the trouble and say it myself-I need to get a life). Anyway, it just so happened that I came across the name of the company that ran the defunct downtown coffeehouse I've mentioned a couple of times here and guess what? The reason that location is defunct is that it moved a couple of blocks north on Grand. So, I cruised by this afternoon to find them up and running just like their Johnson County sister shop. And also, just as in JoCo, their signs out front don't specify whether their Wi-Fi is free and open, code-restricted or play-for-pay either. A website updated with the correct address and a little more upfront information would be appreciated, folks.

So much for the bad news. Now for the worse news. Looks like we can forget about free Wi-Fi in P&L proper, at least for the foreseeable future. There's a Starbucks going in diagonally across Main from the still-empty building where Latte Land was scheduled to open. The way things are these days I can't imagine they'd risk going ahead, free Internet or not.

And since my later travels took me out west today, I thought I'd satisfy my curiosity and see if Bonner Springs was among the outlying communities with a public library unwired courtesy of Sunflower Broadband, or that perhaps had taken the initiative to do so on its own. Well, no. That may be due, however, to the fact that the library is currently in a rather cramped temporary location, on the lower level of the town's community center. Someone there mentioned that the city's new library should open around April or May and that it will be lit up, although whether through its own efforts or Sunflower's isn't clear. If and when we find out more, you'll find out along with us.


No comments: