Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The RIGHT way to do library Wi-Fi...almost

Well, if ath64's adventures out West last year merited a couple of posts, I guess it's my turn. I'm afraid, however, that my journey's a bit less involved than ath64's hop over the continental divide. No, I'm up at the Des Moines Public Library on a historical research mission (yes, kids, there are still a few things you can't Google up) and thought I'd compliment the nice folks up here for not just a stunning new downtown facility-well, a couple of years old now, but I haven't been up here in nearly a couple of decades-but what I'd readily endorse, save for one quibble, as library wireless done right.

No nonsensical closing of the network to non-cardholders, no essentially worthless filtering (which, in the same manner as gun control only serves to keep guns out of law-abiding hands, only gets in the way of honest people trying to do legitimate work), just boot and scoot-that is, boot up your laptop and scoot off to wherever it is online you need to get to. The reading room I'm currently in is also host to maybe a hundred public-access workstations, and I don't see an idle one in the bunch. This is clearly a library administration made up of 21st-century thinkers who get what Wi-Fi in a library is for.

So why aren't there any power outlets back here by the microfilm machines? Come on, folks, a power strip or two plugged into the floor and conveniently left amidst these readers and printers would be a godsend. It's all you have left to do to turn your 9.9 into a perfect 10.

No comments: