Friday, June 06, 2008

Well, I guess you COULD wear kneepads...

Latte Land
Country Club Plaza, 318 West 47th Street, Kansas City

802.11g
SSID: linksys

If you're battery-challenged, hope that one of the eight booths along the east wall is available. However, you'd better be lithe and limber enough to bend or squat down far enough to plug your charger into one of the outlets under each seat-or be lucky enough to be enjoying the company of someone who is. Not wanting to embarrass myself by kneeling-sorry, but my lithe and limber bending and squatting days are somewhat behind me, I'm afraid-I made do by feeling my way as best I could-something I really don't recommend. I'm probably lucky I didn't shock myself-or worse.

It'd be better if the seat cushions didn't overhang so much in front. Maybe the management here should bear that in mind for the next remodeling. Also, I don't like to grumble about such things-especially in an establishment nice enough to not only offer free Wi-Fi, but power to boot-but it'd be better if all hotspot operators endeavored to change the SSID on their routers to anything other than the default. Customers shouldn't have to wonder whether that default network name is yours or belongs to some clueless party nearby. It's also a chance to get some free advertising. Can't afford to pass that up these days, can you?

Well, on the positive side, the place is dark enough inside in the afternoon to be LCD-friendly, and the signal is nice and steady.

And it's worth noting that Latte Land has a second location on the Plaza, at 4771 Jefferson. I didn't have time to stop there as well so I can't speak as to whether it's unwired. Anyone who can is welcome to do so.

No comments: